Classic car owners planning Euro road trips now have more clarity over what paperwork they will need should the UK complete its withdrawal from the European Union, following an update from the Department for Transport.

Previously, drivers had been warned they would need up to three international driving permits (IDPs) for driving in Europe: the 1926 IDP, the 1949 IDP and the 1968 IDP, with which type you need dependent on the country you will be driving in. These are available from the UK Post Office for UK licence holders who are UK residents.

However, as long as you have a photocard licence, a number of European countries will not require you to carry an IDP for shorter stays, in most cases up to three or six months. Other countries do not require you to have an IDP at all so long as you have a photocard licence. Some, like the Netherlands, Slovakia and Switzerland, also do not require an IDP if you only have a paper licence.

However, there are exceptions. You will need a 1968 IDP and your UK licence in France regardless of what type it is and how long you stay, and the same goes for Italy and Monaco. In Liechtenstein, you will need a 1926 IDP and your UK licence. For the full list of each country’s requirements, visit the Gov website.

If you’re taking your own vehicle abroad, you’ll also need your V5C, a ‘green card’ from your car insurance company and a GB sticker for your car.